Here comes my MIL's recipe.
Rice - 2 cups
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Red chillies - 10 chopped finely
Channa dal - 1 Tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 Tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Coconut - 1/2 cup shredded(dry/fresh)
Salt and oil as per taste
1. Soak the rice for 2 hours.
2. Grind the rice in a mixer/blender.
3. In a pan, heat oil and add the mustard seeds.
4. When the mustards splutter, add red chillies channa dal and urad dal and saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add onions and saute till its brown in colour.
6. Pour the rice batter and add salt.
7. Keep stirring continously till the batter has a thick consistency like a dough.
8. Remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
9. Apply oil to your hands and make round balls with the rice dough. Shape it either length wise or make round balls.
10. In a idli cooker/pressure cooker, steam the kozhukattais. If using pressure cooker, do not use weight. Pressure cook it for 10 minutes.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Festival time is no time for healthyyy info.. at least in our house.. This is the time to have some fun, and what better way than food.. (especially for foodies like me.)