2 onions finely chopped
3 cups wheat flour
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
1 tsp carom seeds(ajwain)
1-2 tsp chilly powder
salt as per taste
Oil for frying
1. In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, carom seeds and let it splutter.
2. Add onions and saute till it turns translucent. Ensure not to fry till brown.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and fry till the raw smell goes.
4. Add the onion mix to the wheat flour. Mix well with the flour. Set aside for 15 mins.
5. Add water and knead the dough well.
6. Make round balls of equal size and roll them.
7. Heat the frying pan/tawa, cook the parathas on both sides for a minute. Add oil if required.
1.You can use any add some more masalas to it, like chaat masala, goda masala, garam masala to enhance the taste and flavours.
2.If the onions are not cooked completely, they will ooze out water in the dough, so make sure it is translucent.
3.Overcooked onions will become sweet, in this case increase the quantity of chilly powder as per taste.
4. Dont leave the kneaded dough to rest for long, as onions tend to ooze out water.