Monday, August 17, 2009

Uppu Seedai


Yes this post is late for Janamashtami. Made seedai for the first time on janmashtami, it came out much better than expected. I got this recipe from my MIL and she was very happy with the results. My husband warned me about the small explosions that occur while frying the seedai, nonetheless I went ahead with the seedai. Started frying the seedai, no explosions whatsoever. HD wanted to help me, so when he started frying the last round of seedai, there was this big explossssssssionnnnnnn which I witnessed for the first time. All the oil was spilled out on the stove and the exhaust fan. :( But we were lucky to have survived the 'explosion'. I think the explosions were caused due to the cracks in the seedai. I rolled them well making sure there are no cracks, but at the end I was hurrying up, so might have not rolled some well enough. This is just my assumption about the seedai explosion. If anyone knows the root cause of the explosion, please let me know, it will be a good help to all of us making seedai next time.



Ingredients:

Rice flour - 2 1/2 cups
Urad dal flour - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds/jeera- 1 tsp
Sesame seeds/yellu/til - 2 tsp
Asofoetida/hing - 1/4 tsp
Salt and Oil as required

Steps:
1. Soak the rice for 30 minutes and dry it on a cloth for 10 minutes. Dry grind it and sieve it.
2. Dry roast the urad dal for 5 minutes till it turns golden brown. Once it cools, dry grind.
3. Mix all the ingredients(except oil), add little water at a time to make a soft dough.
4. Make round balls apprx the size of a marble and place it in a dry cloth or tissue paper.
5. Fry a handful at a time on medium to low heat till they turn yellow or brown. Once the seedais are cooked, the bubbles will disappear and the seedais will float up on the oil.
Store it in air tight containers.

Uppu seedai is a good munch which pleases the Lord Krishna. After eating the seedai, you'll know why Lord Krishna has chosen Seedai as a offering to him. Still guessing... try this recipe and you'll know. :)

0 comments:

Anu's Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP