4 cups: 1cup = Long grain rice/idli rice : Urad dal
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Poha/Avval/Beaten Rice - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1 Tsp to ferment the batter
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Oil as required
1. Rinse and soak the rice for 5 hours.
2. Rinse and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 5 hours.
3. After 5 hours, drain the water from the dal and seeds and grind it in a mixer. Pour very little water at grind to a fine consistency. You'll see small bubbles forming on the dal batter. Remove and transfer in a steel container.
4. Pour little water in the poha so that it covers it. Let it soak.
5. Grind the rice using sufficient water to get a coarse batter. Transfer to the steel container.
6. Grind the poha with remaining rice to a coarse batter. Pour the batter in the stainless steel utensil.
7. Add 1 tsp salt and mix the batter well in anti-clockwise direction.
8. Place the container in a warm place.(near the oven, on top of the fridge, etc)
Tip : Due to cold temperature, the batter may not ferment. You can place the batter on/near one of the stove tops which you are not using. This will make the batter ferment well.
9. Leave the batter covered overnight or for 12 hours.
10. After 12 hours, batter will be fermented .i.e. you will see the batter risen to double the size. Its ready to use now or you can refrigate it to use later.
Note: Leaving the batter for more than 12 hours will give a sour taste to the batter. To avoid this refrigate it.
11. Heat a non-stick skillet, pour a laddle full of batter and spread the form in the form of a circle.
12. Pour little oil on the dosa and immediately spread the onion. Let it cook for a minute. Apply the podi(mixed with water) on the dosa.
13. Flip the dosa carefully and pour 2-3 drops of oil, and let if cook for another minute.
14. Flip over again and transfer to a plate.
Serve hot with chutney and/or sambar.
It is a very simple procedure, dont worry about the number of steps. :)